“What can we do at home?” This is the question that every parent at our school asks and it is a question that we love to be asked!
The answer is simple… but perhaps not very easy. It’s simple because the best thing parents can do at home with their children is involve them in their daily lives and set up the home to help their children do things independently. It’s not easy because… well, how do you actually DO that?
You do that through the activities of “practical life”. These are the activities of daily living such as getting dressed, cleaning up, preparing food, interacting with others, and so on. Participating in these activities not only helps children feel like they are an integral part of the home and increases their sense of independence and competence, but it builds critical neural pathways for motor coordination, problem solving and abstract thinking.
There are many resources available online to help parents set up Montessori practical life activities for their toddlers at home. A google search for “Montessori practical life” and “toddlers” will give you more results than you can possibly manage. This is wonderful if you’re interested in digging deep and falling down rabbit holes for hours, but not so wonderful if you just want some simple advice that you can apply today.
All four of these moms are passionate about Montessori and they understand that Montessori is about more than the pretty little trays and activities you see all over Pinterest! They sent me a free copy of the ebook for a sneak peek.
Extra Resources (Included)
- Montessori Method FAQ
- Montessori Practical Life FAQ
- Printable Practical Life Activities Checklist (100 Practical Life Activities for Toddlers)
- Printable Practical Life Materials Checklist
- Montessori Books and Resources Checklist
- Routine chore chart (visual schedule)
- Care of a Pet- 3-Part Cards
- Common Pets- 3-Part Cards
- Care of the Home- 3-Part Cards
- Cleaning Tools- 3-Part Cards
- Kitchen Tools- 3-Part Cards
- Setting the Table- 3-Part Cards
- Scrubbing and Polishing- Step by Step
- Pouring Activities- Step by Step
- Spooning Activities- Step by Step