Preschoolers really enjoy winter activities! I’ve pulled together some great resources from around the web to help you create a winter theme for your classroom.
Montessori Activities for Winter
In Montessori we aim to give children experiences with real life as much as possible.
Preschoolers will enjoy practical life activities such as:
- Shoveling snow
- Scraping ice from the window pane
- Scrubbing boots
- Learning how to put on winter gear (snow pants, boots, coats, mittens, scarves!)
- Preparing simple treats like hot cocoa
For the Montessori Language Area, create
- Nomenclature cards for common winter vocabulary such as clothing, winter animals, winter activities etc.
- Sequencing cards such as how to get dressed, making a snowman, making hot chocolate
For the Montessori Science and Cultural Area, try
- Making bird feeders for winter birds
- Observing and recording the activity of winter birds and animals
- Learning about what animals do in winter
- Learning about how ice is formed
Winter Activities from Trillium Montessori
These are some of the additional activities we have had in our class over the years during the winter months. Click the images to go to the blog post for more details.