If you are a Montessori administrator or a Montessori school owner, or hope to be one in the near future, then please join us in this Facebook discussion group.
I started this group because I desperately needed a community of people who were managing small schools. I am fortunate that I live in an area with a thriving Montessori community and am part of networking groups with other local heads of schools who are absolutely wonderful. But the truth is, the needs of big schools and the needs of tiny schools like mine are very different. I had immediate burning questions about how to get my school off the ground, how to get people in the door, how to manage my time, and how to deal with the overwhelm of doing it all. These are far removed from the concerns of people who manage large schools.
So, in January 2015, I reached out to the Trillium subscribers and invited other small school owners to join me in a discussion group where we could tell our startup stories, get inspired, offer advice and support, and share our triumphs and tribulations.
This is a wonderful community of Montessori administrators and school owners from around the world. Some of our members haven’t quite started the journey yet, but are preparing for it. This is THE community I turn to when I want to celebrate, and when I want to cry.
A few important things to note before you fill out the application below… we are pretty committed to authentic Montessori practice, but we don’t talk curriculum. This is strictly a group about school administration. This keeps our discussions very focused. We also expect all members to have a solid foundation in Montessori principles because we don’t want to get bogged down in discussions about policy decisions that run counter to good Montessori practice. Therefore, professional Montessori training and 3 years of Montessori teaching experience is a membership requirement. This is not a group for Montessori newbies. If you’re recently trained, please join us in the Trillium community group. One more thing… this is not a group for silent membership! If you’re in, you will need to participate, at least minimally, in order to keep you membership current!
So, if this sounds like something that might work for you, read the instructions below and fill out the application! If you don’t get approved, it means you’re missing one of the steps or do not meet the requirements. If you think you did everything right but still haven’t been added to the group within 48 hours, please apply again in case it didn’t go through. (PS I will not be emailing you if there’s anything missing. I’m counting on you to read the instructions!)
Join the Conversation on Facebook
HOW TO APPLY
1. You will need a Facebook account if you don’t already have one
2. Read the Membership Requirements and Community Guidelines below
3.Fill out the form below
4. Click “Join” on the How I Started My Montessori School group page
5. Your join request will be approved if you meet the membership requirements.
6. Introduce yourself; tell us how you started your school or what your dreams are! Also fill out the “Top Tips” document with your best success tips and lessons learned.
If you have requested to join but have not been approved yet, it means that you’re missing one of the above steps. Please make sure you’ve clicked the “join” button and have completed the application form below.
If you have followed all the steps but still have not been approved, please try applying again in case your application did not go through.
Please note: You MUST meet the membership requirements in order to be approved.
1. Must have completed professional Montessori training and have a minimum of 3 years experience leading a Montessori classroom. We expect that members will have an understanding of essential Montessori concepts as they pertain to a classroom setting. At this time, Montessori training aimed at homeschoolers is not eligible.
2. You must be a current or former owner of a Montessori school, or be planning to start one in the near future. We want all members to be able to contribute intelligently. If you’re brand new to the process of starting a school, you’ll have lots of questions, which is a great way to get discussions flowing! But if you’re not really planning to start a school and don’t have experience running one, you won’t have much to say.
3. Participation is required. Once you are approved, please introduce yourself so we all know “who’s in the room”. Regular participation by way of posts, comments, or likes is expected.
Don’t Meet the Requirements?
Don’t worry! Try these other great resources:
- You can request to join similar groups on Facebook. None of the following have an application at this time:
Planning a Montessori School
Montessori in the Family Child Care
- Want to discuss parenting and beginner info about Montessori? Go to Montessori101
- Want to discuss Montessori in general? Join us in the the Trillium Community group.
Privacy and Confidentiality
This is a “Closed” Facebook group. Anything posted in the group will show up in the newsfeeds of members only. Your friends will not see your postings unless they too are members. Read more about FB group privacy settings here: https://www.facebook.com/help/220336891328465/?ref=u2u
By being a member of this group you agree to maintain the confidentiality of all members and topics discussed. Of course, please use common sense and your discretion with the amount of information you share about yourself.
Names of students and parents should NEVER be mentioned in this group. Any mentions of such individuals will be deleted.
You may upload files of documents that you have created. You may not upload or share documents that you have purchased elsewhere and/or that you do not own the rights to. This includes marketing materials, handouts, record keeping, curriculum materials etc. If you would like to recommend a resource, please provide a link or the contact information for the original source.
We’re all Montessorians here and we treat each other with respect. Speak kindly and with understanding. Disagreements are fine, but please approach all conversations with the attitude of seeking to learn. In that vein, no professional Montessori training or background will be considered superior/inferior to another. We all interpret Montessori in our own unique way.
1. Write a post introducing yourself. If you are uncomfortable sharing your plans for the future out of respect for your current employer, just tell us about how you found Montessori and why you love it.
2. Participate in at least ONE of the following ways 3-4 times a month:
- LIKE someone else’s comment/post (this is very easy to do…!)
- COMMENT on someone else’s post
- POST something new
We will post participation reminders regularly, but we don’t want to clutter newsfeeds with nonsense so it won’t be too often.
WHY is there a participation requirement? We would really like to keep this a small and focused group. If you’re interested in being a part of this group, please join in and share your wisdom/experience or ask questions so we can learn from each other. Also, if you’re planning to be a school administrator, you’re going to have to tap into your inner extrovert and put yourself out there a bit. Consider this training!